Monday, June 30, 2008

Moab, UT Arches National Park

We’re staying at the Archview Campground just north of Moab, Utah. But, we upgraded our campsite to a basic cabin with air conditioning to accommodate our baby dog, who does not tolerate the heat very well. While Bob and I drag our butts up the steep slopes of sun beaten rock at midday in the Utah desert, Deefer stays home and sleeps. It’s a pretty sweet cabin with views of the mountains and Arches. I’m pleased as punch because there’s a small fridge, so I don’t have to tear my hair out trying to keep the lunch meat on ice for the next 5 days.


So, today was our first venture into Arches National Park. We hung out at the Visitor’s Center and then did a 1 mile hiking loop around “North and South Windows” and Turret Arch. A really cool introduction to how awesome this place is.


We decided
to take on “Delicate Arch” later in the afternoon. We started out at 4pm on the 3 mile trail that will get you up close and personal with Delicate Arch, the most famous of the arches. In fact, it’s front and center on the Utah state license plates… or at least it was for a long time.




This was a strenuous hike, billed as “uphill” and “hot at midday” by the ranger. It was actually “vertical” and “inferno”. But, I decided not to complain after we passed a 3 year old on his way back down who calmly stated to his father, “whew, I’m running low on energy.” If he can do it, we can do it. And the payoff was spectacular. It was waves of sandstone, deep valleys, vistas for miles, and of course the delicate arch.


We had a snack at the top and took some photos before descending back down . Bob’s snack got ruined as he happily pulled out an “energy bar” he had bought the day before, but then saw that it read “Luna Bar: Nutrition for Women”. He was so concerned about what they put in those “lady bars” that he gave it to a lady on the trail. We had cheeseburgers for dinner: Bob’s choice.

6 comments:

cygraham said...

Christine, you kill me. I wet my pants reading about the luna bar. So Bob. I can NOT wait to meet you. The pictures are incredible. Am so damn jealous I can't stand it. I want to do Valley of the Gods (again) & Moab next year. I will need any of your notes and suggestions. Your blog is my daily treat. Thanks so much. Catharine

Ryan said...

I love catching up on you guys. It is fun to read about your southern Utah adventures and hope the locals are treating you well there. I love Arches and delicate arch especially. Southern Utah feels like another planet will all of its rock formations.

demcoxes said...

I think anythig ladylike in those "lady bars" probably would have been offset by what was in those manly cheeseburgers. Just a thought:
Bob to the unknown stranger-lady:
"would you like this lady bar"?
Stranger-lady:
"What about her", pointing to Christine?
Bob: "That's no lady. That's my wife".
Sorry, I fear I have given away my age.
Thanks for the updates, I truly enjoy living vicariously through your adventure.
AuntT

Unknown said...

bob, little do you know megan and i have been sneaking little bits of "lady bars" into your food for years.

Mike (FOTB) and Dot (MOTB) said...

WOW! We are so excited to read of all your adventures and the pictures are just wonderful. They make us even more excited about our 'rendevous' (sp?) in August. Which of course is on the most important day of the year.....Miss you both so much. FOTB

Mike (FOTB) and Dot (MOTB) said...

Christine and Bob, adventure of a lifetime, we love reading you blog, it makes my day!also love reading the comments! take care love mom